The Science Department endeavors to enhance each student’s creative and critical thinking processes with a focus on inquiry, hypothesis, and experimentation.
Courses allow students to engage in real-life learning situations, covering both physical and life sciences. La Pietra expects that each student will be able to:
- effectively communicate scientific information through verbal and written expression;
- develop curiosity about the physical world;
- become proficient at applying knowledge of basic principles to solve novel problems;
- form a testable hypothesis and design an experiment to test the hypothesis;
- use traditional methods, as well as new technology, to collect data for analysis;
- summarize data in tables and graphs;
- draw conclusions from experimental results;
- write descriptively and analytically, with particular attention to detail and precision;
- follow written sets of instructions; and,
- become a global citizen who appreciates her role and impact on the ecology of the earth.