In the summer of 2011, La Pietra transformed its traditional library to an information center that meets the needs of the 21st century learner. In doing so, it has created Hawaii’s first all-digital school library.
Modeled after the learning centers now appearing on college and university campuses, La Pietra’s library features:
- Seating for 54 students;
- A student work center, stocked with presentation and project supplies, as well as a printer and copy machine
- Movable whiteboards for group activities and problem solving exercises
- A suite of desktop computer workstations
- Specially designed seating with fold-out laptop desks
With instant access to information via the web, it is important for students to know how to sort through and assess the information found when performing internet searches. With access to LibGuides, teachers can direct students to relevant information through the most popular research guide platform at colleges and universities. Through LibGuides, students will:
- Learn information literacy skills so they can find relevant and reliable information
- Access customized guides created specifically for the courses they are taking
- Find lists of RSS feeds, embedded videos, link lists and e-books relevant to their coursework
The Burta Gates Atherton Conference Room, located in the library, is a multipurpose meeting room with a conference table, seating for 25 people, full wi-fi access, audio-visual presentation equipment, and video/tele conferencing capabilities. It is utilized by teachers and students for class meetings and other gatherings.